tirsdag, december 26, 2006

Top 25 citater

I disse "terrortider" kan det være godt lige at få opfrisket lidt visdom. Her er top 25 citater i gennem historien, lånt fra daily kos

25. If two men agree on everything, you may be sure that one of them is doing the thinking.

-- Lyndon Baines Johnson (1908-1973)

24. It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

-- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

23. Music is the pleasure that the human soul encoutners from counting without knowing that it is counting.

-- Leibniz

22. To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.

-- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

21. When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.

-- Desiderius Erasmus (1465-1536)

20. It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows.

-- Epictetus (c.55-c.135)

19. He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

18. As I would not be a slave, so I will not be a master.

-- Abraham Lincoln

17. No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.

-- John Donne (1572-1631), Meditation XVII

16. If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.

-- Noam Chomsky (b. 1928)

15. My Country, right or wrong" is a thing no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober

-- Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936)

14. This above all, to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not be false to any man.

-- Shakespeare.

13. The gods are amused when the busy river condemns the idle clouds

-- Rabindranath Tagore

12. Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future.

-- Niels Bohr (1885-1962)

11. Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

-- William Pitt (1759-1806)

10. Pain shared is lessened, joy shared, increased

-- Spider Robinson

9. The good old days. I was there. Where was they?

-- Moms Mabley 1894-1975

8. All models are wrong but some are useful.

-- George Box

7. The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."

-- Isaac Asimov (1920-1992)

6. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn.

-- Hillel

5. If I am not for myself, who is for me?
If I am for myself alone, what am I?
If not now, when?

-- Hillel

4. Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall soon have neither

-- Benjamin Franklin

3. If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let each man march to his own rhythm, however measured, or far away

-- H. D. Thoreau

2. There is nothing so horrible in nature as to see a beautiful theory murdered by an ugly gang of facts

-- Benjamin Franklin

1. Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to be worried abut our own souls, and other people's bellies

-- Rabbi Israel Salanter 1810-1883